Thursday, August 25, 2011

Collection Papercraft


This craft was easy to create. My graphic artist used a drawing of a butterfly she previously created. Then she adjusted the antennae so they didn't stick out so much; that way the butterflies could be cut out without trying to cut out the antennae separately. Next, she copied about fifteen onto a page. Then she adjusted the sizes and proportions so they all looked a little different. Voila! Done!

Anyone could do a papercraft that looks like a butterfly collection without any pattern at all. Just draw a bunch of butterflies. Cut them out. Fold them in half. Glue them to a piece of paper. Then you have a collection. Or maybe a display. Exhibit? Medley? Whatever!

I was a bit concerned about asking the Butterfly Gardener Magazine to publish this craft because it was about collecting and they are definitely anti-collecting. But, I did a write a nice paragraph about how people USED to collect but now photos and listing of species is the standard way to document what you have seen. Funny thing, they were fine with the craft, but didn't want me to use the word "collection." So I called it a "medley." Maybe "exhibit" or a "display" would have been better words, but I didn't have much time to change my text and didn't think of those words until later.

Taking the photo of the papercraft was the hard part. I wanted shadows to show the 3D quality. But the shadows in this photo are too harsh. Interesting. But harsh. I took about two dozen photos before I got one I really liked. If you want to see it, you will have to join the North American Butterfly Association and get the magazine.

No comments: