Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Passionvine

Image result for passiflora incarnata

Passion flowers are so pretty. And unusual. Great vine for the garden. And the Gulf Fritillaries lay their eggs on it. So you get butterflies, too, if you are within their range.

But in addition, you can buy passionflower extracts to help decrease insomnia or anxiety. There is some evidence that it is effective. It can also cause hallucinations and psychosis in large doses.

But don't use garden plants as a sleep aid. Some species have cyanide in them. So some are more toxic than others.

(intoxicating plants)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just found your blog! I'm a graduate student at Cal and I love butterflies, caterpillars, and flowers! Right now a I have a monarch caterpillar and two anise swallowtail chrysalises. Wondering if you have encountered any Pipevine Swallowtail caterpillars in the area? (I live in Albany.) Would love to connect sometime!

caterpillarlady said...


So nice to hear from you. There certainly are pipevine swallowtails nearby. We some some yesterday on the butterfly walk at the UC Bot Garden. Email me for a personal response.