Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Adelpha bredowi eulialia--Arizona Sister


I saw clouds of Sisters in Arizona. Seems like five flew with every step. Mostly they were sitting on the ground puddling. They were very friendly. It didn't take much to convince this one to climb up on a finger; just a little saliva. Another alighted on a hat. Maybe the hat was sweaty? I don't know.

Supposedly, these are Arizona Sisters. They look just like California Sisters to me. But there is a slight difference on the underside. Something about have two orange bars instead of one. I'll take their word for it.

These butterflies are called sisters due to their resemblance to a nun. They are black and white like nuns, and have an orange face like nuns. Well, maybe nuns don't really have orange faces, but the orange on the butterfly is supposed to represent a face. Seems a little far fetched to me. But it helps me remember the name.

Anyway, the sisters were plentiful, friendly and beautiful. It would have been worth the trip just to see the sisters.

No comments: