Wednesday, September 28, 2011

West Coast Lady at Filoli



We went to Filoli today. The house was lovely, but I couldn't imagine living there. So dark! And heavy!

Many things blooming in the garden, including these orange and yellow flowers (Zinnias?). The butterflies seemed to like this area. There were skippers. And a Monarch that I was too lazy to chase down in the heat. But this West Coast Lady was more accommodating. She was very intent on getting the nectar out of each floret and didn't spook when I tried to take her picture.

Yesterday, on my butterfly walk at the UC Botanical Garden, an American Lady was nectaring on Ironweed near the Crop Garden. I hardly ever see American Ladies, but there is a big section of Pearly Everlasting, their host plant, in the California section, so it isn't surprising. We also saw skippers and Sulfurs. It was a successful fall walk. Next month I lead my last butterfly walk of the year.

No comments: