Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Butterfly Walk


I had over twenty people sign up for the butterfly walk I did yesterday. This is only a few of them; not everybody wanted to be in my blog. It was a nice sunny afternoon. The usual Berkeley summer weather. Not like the day of my butterfly walk last month when we got 1.5 inches of rain!

First, everyone got a chance to look at immatures. I had a gulf fritillary egg and first instar. Also several instars of anise swallowtails. Then I left the caterpillars in the shop when we started on our walk.

Someone found a Satyr Anglewing right away. I hadn't seen one of those in awhile, so that was a very nice one. It was also very accommodating, sticking around on the gooseneck flowers while everyone got a good look at it.

Continuing on the walk, we also saw Anise Swallowtails, cabbage whites, and umber skippers. Not a lot of species, but more than last time.

It was a pleasant afternoon at the UC Botanical Garden.

No comments: