Friday, September 4, 2009


My butterfly emerged today. September 4, 2009. This is the same one that pupated on Aug 25. I'm guessing that it is a field crescent, but I really don't know.
Compare here: http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=1744
Isn't that flower pretty? I got the plant for free, it was in such bad shape, then I put it on the front porch and ignored it, except for occasional water. Then to my surprise, it bloomed! It is Reineckea carnea in the Lily family. I think it is a great plant, since it is taking care of itself. Maybe I should try putting it in the ground, although it is doing so well in the pot, I would rather not disturb it. Apparently the snails love it, so maybe I will try it as a house plant.
Just a reminder: this animal fed on aster as a youngster, and it was born and raised in Berkeley, California. I plan to release it tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a lovely photo! I think your ID is correct.