Sunday, November 11, 2007

Spider Season



I I know this blog is supposed to be about butterflies, but I also like other insects and even other arthropods. So I am straying a bit. Halloween is over, but it is still spider season. More spiders are mature adults this time of year than any other. That is why you see them everywhere. My photos are not great, but that is a garden spider at the top. People are rarely bitten by spiders around here, but people are still scared of them, and doctors use the term "spider bite" as a catch-all for any small wound or infection they they are unable to identify. They are loath to say they don't know. Spiders may look like fearsome animals, but they are really lovely creatures that eat insects. If you want fewer insects in the house, let the house spiders tend their web indoors.

2 comments:

Celia said...

Ah! so that's why there have been so many spiders around. Interesting!

Matt said...

What is the name of that large-bodied spider I see everywhere?